BirdNote is an independent media production company that inspires people to care about the future of the natural world by producing and distributing remarkable stories about the lives of birds, and the people who help them. At the close of 2020, more than 1,600 short daily shows had been produced, plus three new longform podcasts. The daily show airs on its flagship public radio station, KNKX 88.5 FM, and more than 200 stations throughout North America, reaching an estimated 2 million listeners. BirdNote programming is free and accessible to all, including radio stations. The daily show and longform stories are available to listeners any time at BirdNote.org.
The development communications coordinator is an independent contractor position that will play an integral role in BirdNote’s brand communications strategy with our contributors, prospects and other constituents. The coordinator creates and oversees fundraising communication materials for distribution on all platforms, including fundraising appeals, special events, and donor acquisition and stewardship activities. Under the supervision of the development director, the coordinator is responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring the development communications strategy to increase brand awareness, communicating our mission to garner financial support from donors at all levels. This position requires a self-motivated, creative, highly organized and detail-oriented individual. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Using compelling storytelling, create thoughtful and creative stewardship pieces (print and digital) for annual fund donors.
- Create social media posts to support fundraising across all BirdNote social media platforms; assist with analytics, tracking and reporting.
- Collaborate with other team members to create and implement digital marketing strategies to acquire new donors and to steward existing donors with innovative content.
- Support the department’s operational plan that incorporates a range of communication strategies, from designing materials to crafting messaging for distribution on all platforms.
- Design, organize, and execute engaging events that support fundraising, donor acquisition, and retention. Develop invitations, track RSVPs, create nametags, organize logistics, and greet at the events.
- Proofread all outgoing communications for grammar, BirdNote brand and style, and clarity.
- Assist with writing and producing the Annual Report.
- Assist with grant proposal writing, copy editing, proofing and design.
- Provide administrative support to the development department as needed, including creating and mailing gift acknowledgements and assisting with donor and listener customer service by phone and email.
- Support all departments in production of flyers, signage, and other promotional materials.
- Research topics for monthly newsletter, website updates, and all social media messages as needed.
- Actively participate as an integrated member of the development team; attend donor events and activities as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and 3 years of experience in a development office environment, non-profit setting, or management of an integrated CRM database, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to exercise judgment and maintain confidentiality.
- Meticulous attention to detail and deadlines with demonstrated strong initiative in carrying out responsibilities.
- Excellent organization skills and planning abilities. Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Highly developed, well-rounded written and verbal communication skills. Experience answering inquiries and requests in a friendly and direct manner.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively. Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with team members, contractors, donors, and partners.
- Familiarity with Salesforce or similar CRM, experience with payment processing software, accounting/budgeting software systems.
- Active involvement in some of the major online social media communities, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram. Understanding of how to tailor a message to an audience and platform.
- Familiarity with shared productivity tools such as Slack, Google Workspace, and Zoom.
- Familiarity with or ability to learn AP style.
Other Desired Qualities:
- Positive, self-motivated, responsible, results-oriented, team player.
- Ability to work effectively from home.
- Ability to learn from experience, and a good sense of humor.
This is a virtual independent contractor position for 6 months or more, with approximately 20 to 25 hours of work per week over 4 to 5 days, with the schedule TBD.
- Extensive computer and phone work
- Ability to work some evening and weekend hours (with advance notice)
- Occasional lifting up to 50lbs.
Hire contingent upon full reference checks and passing a background check.
Reports to: Development Director
$22 - $30/hour DOE
Contractor will not be eligible for employee benefits.
How to Apply:
Send resume, cover letter and sample fundraising materials (including a writing sample and five professional references) to Jessica Frantz, Development Director: jessicaf AT birdnote.org (thank you for helping us control spam by typing the @ yourself). Please include BirdNote Development Communications Coordinator in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.